This past September, each of the Detroit builders travelled to Dallas, Texas, to show off their new 2023 heavy-duty (HD) pickup trucks at the State Fair of Texas. Although the pickup truck GMC introduced was their 2024 Sierra HD, we’ll probably still see it in 2023. Their hurry to market this truck demonstrates the competition in this HD pickup truck segment. For General Motors (including Chevy), part of this rush is their goal of getting the new half-ton interiors into the HD pickup trucks as soon as possible.
We saw new interiors in the 1500 series trucks this year.
Denali has been the top of the line for GMC for a long time. When their customers began telling them it wasn’t cutting it anymore, GMC introduced a new trim package this past summer called the Denali Ultimate. As the name implies, it is the ultimate trim package, and there’s been a rush to include it in the new HD Sierra. Load capability and safety systems have not been neglected in this new HD either.
New 2024 Sierra HD pickup highlights:
- Enhanced power with the 6.6L Duramax Turbo-Diesel V-8 coupled with a 10-speed Allison transmission delivers 470 horsepower and 975 lb. ft. of torque. A new key feature is 25% more low-end torque vs. the current model for a greater feeling of power on demand.
- Additional changes and upgrades offer more efficient combustion and enhance performance. This latest Duramax engine adds additional refinements, including:
- An all-new, more efficient turbocharger with improved efficiency to boost low-end torque.
- Increased power and torque over the entire operating speed range.
- Improved engine braking with a more powerful turbo vane actuator and uprated valve springs.
- New cylinder heads with improved cooling jackets.
- An all-new combustion system within the heads that are matched with next-generation, higher-flow injectors and greater fuel injection pressure.
- All-new engine controller.
- The Allision 10-speed automatic transmission is also paired with the Sierra HD’s standard 6.6L gas engine for 2024. It replaces the previous six-speed automatic, offering smaller “steps” between the gears, which enables the 6.6L gas engine to be held closer to its peak power (401 hp and 464 lb. ft. of torque) for more extended periods.
- Max towing across the lineup:
- Up to 21,900 lb. on Sierra Pro 2500HD Crew Cab.
- Up to 22,500 lb. on Sierra Pro 2500HD – a 4,000-lb. an increase over the current model.
- Up to 36,000 lb. on Sierra Pro 3500HD.
- The HD class’s most available trailering assistance technologies are through GMC’s ProGrade trailering system, offering up to 14 available camera views.
- Updated technologies include an available new, largest-in-class 13.4-inch-diagonal tablet-style infotainment touchscreen.
While the Denali Ultimate is the eye-catching centrepiece of the new Sierra HD pickup, the off-road trim and capability package (AT4X) will also be added. The lineup includes 2500HD and 3500HD models in Regular Cab, Extended Cab and Crew Cab configurations — with dual-rear-wheel models available on 3500HD. Available trims include Pro, SLE, SLT, AT4, Denali and Denali Ultimate, with that AT4X trim coming later in the model year.
Inside a 2024 Sierra HD pickup (Denali Ultimate trim package)
Denali Ultimate’s exclusive Alpine Umber interior reaches new heights of premium luxury and comfort in a heavy-duty truck. Full-grain leather appointments and open-pore Paldao wood adorn the interior trim. The wood’s darkened finish creates a distinctive colour blend, while the unique graining adds attention to detail. Additional content includes:
- Full-grain leather-wrapped door panels with etched stainless-steel speaker grilles.
- Full-grain leather front and rear seats with the Denali Ultimate badge on the front seatbacks and centre console lid.
- 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats.
- Premium microsuede headliner, visors, A- and B-pillar trim, and leather-wrapped A- and B-pillar handles.
- 12-speaker Bose8 Premium series with Centerpoint surround technology.
- Standard Rear Camera Mirror9, with full camera display.
- Standard 15-inch-diagonal multicolour Head-Up Display.
- Standard power sunroof.
Towing with a 2024 Sierra HD pickup
One of the best parts about driving an HD truck is being able to tow. Here are the features that make that job easier with a Sierra HD pickup truck.
- Available Enhanced, Transparent Trailer View for Gooseneck and Fifth Wheel Trailering: Allows the driver to virtually “see through” the trailer. Using the camera mounted on the rear of the truck and an accessory camera on the back of the trailer, it pieces together a view of the area behind the truck and trailer as if the trailer was not there, helping to improve visibility.
- Available Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert: Extends side blind zone alerts to include the blind zone areas around the trailer.
- New GCW Alert: This all-new feature warns the driver if the vehicle and trailer weight exceeds the vehicle’s Gross Combined Weight Rating.
- New Adaptive Cruise Control with Trailering: Allows the Sierra HD’s available Adaptive Cruise Control to be used while trailering and to account for additional drag and increased braking distances when towing a trailer.
Cameras in a 2024 Sierra HD pickup
In total, the 2024 Sierra HD pickup offers up to 14 available camera views, including:
- Hitch Guidance with Hitch View: provides a close-up view of the receiver hitch to help with alignment when connecting to a trailer.
- Bed View with Zoom and Bed Hitch Guidance: You can see the cargo bed help with fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitching or briefly check on cargo.
- Rear Side View with Trailer Length Indicator: with a compatible trailer attached and a turn signal activated, this view will show a full screen down the side of the truck along with a Trailer Length Indicator to aid in lane-change manoeuvres by visually showing obstructions with the trailer in adjacent lanes.
Premium safety features in a 2024 Sierra HD pickup
The 2024 model year will offer the standard Sierra HD Pro Safety suite of safety and new driver assistance technologies, including:
- Forward Collision Alert.
- Lane Departure Warning.
- Automatic Emergency Braking.
- Front Pedestrian Braking (new for 2024).
- IntelliBeam, Auto High Beams.
- Following Distance Indicator.
Interested in learning more about GMC’s 2024 Sierra HD pickup truck? Check out my static video review on the Truck King YouTube channel.