Whether you favour ice fishing or prefer to take your boat out on a warm summer day, you are sure to find just the right place for fishing in Ontario. The province is home to 250,000 lakes and nearly one-fifth of the world’s water supply. You can also take advantage of free fishing days in Ontario. The remaining dates for 2022 are May 7-8, June 18-19, and July 2-10.

People between the ages of 18 and 64 must have a valid fishing licence to fish in any of Ontario’s lakes on any other day. While provincial regulations do not require a fishing licence on free fishing days, fishing regulations and limits may apply.

Fish at One of the Great Lakes

Canada and the United States each contain a portion of four of the five great lakes: Erie, Huron, Ontario, and Superior. Lake Michigan is the only one of the five whose waters lie entirely within the boundaries of the United States. Each of these lakes has water in the province of Ontario and makes excellent locations for fishing.

Lake Erie

Lake Erie is approximately 388 kilometres long and 92 kilometres wide. The lake also has 1,402 kilometres of shoreline that includes islands. The following species of fish are prevalent in Lake Erie:

  • Brown Trout
  • King Salmon
  • Lake Trout
  • Largemouth Bass
  • Northern Pike
  • Rainbow Trout
  • Smallmouth Bass
  • Steelhead
  • Walleye
  • White Perch

Lake Huron

Manitoulin Island is a major feature of Lake Huron, and it represents the world’s largest freshwater island. The lake has an average depth of 59 metres, making it ideal to catch the following species when fishing in Ontario:

  • Chinook Salmon
  • Coho
  • Perch
  • Pink Salmon
  • Rainbow Trout
  • Steelhead
  • Walleye
  • Whitehead

Lake Ontario

Although it is the smallest of the great lakes, Lake Ontario is the 14th largest lake in the world. The lake’s maximum depth is 244 metres. Another thing that is unique about Lake Ontario is that it is the only one of the five great lakes that does not border the American state of Michigan. The lake holds numerous fish species, with the most prevalent types being brown trout, lake trout, salmon, and rainbow trout.

Lake Superior

As the largest freshwater lake in the world, Lake Superior holds 78 unique species of fish. The lake is so big that it contains one-tenth of the fresh surface water in the world. With underwater visibility of eight metres, Lake Superior is one of the world’s cleanest lakes. The ability to see so clearly also makes it easy for you to spot the fish you want to catch. The deepest point of Lake Superior is 405 metres.

Lake Nipigon

This lake is unique because it is the only one whose waters lie entirely within Ontario. Another noteworthy thing about Lake Nipigon is that it is where Dr. J.W. Cook set a world record more than 100 years ago by catching a fish that was 34.5 inches long and weighed in at 14.5 pounds. Dr. Cook’s record still stands today. The most prevalent fish species living in Lake Nipigon include brook trout, lake trout, perch, pike, walleye, and whitefish.

Lake Simcoe

At the start of each new fishing season, staff from the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry stock Lake Simcoe with 100,000 trout and 150,000 whitefish. Other species commonly found in this cold-water fishery include black crappie, largemouth bass, northern pike, smallmouth bass, walleye, and yellow perch. The lake, which begins 65 kilometres north of Toronto, has a surface area of 722 kilometres and a shoreline of 240 kilometres.

Rainy Lake

Rainy Lake cuts directly through the border of Canada and the United States at the intersection of Fort Frances, Ontario and International Falls, Minnesota. Approximately 70 percent of the water sits in Canada and the remaining 30 percent in the United States.

Construction workers created the Rainy Lake Mermaid in 1930, and she still sits on a rock in the middle of the lake today. With a length of 80 kilometres and a maximum width of 43 kilometres, the most prevalent fish species in Rainy Lake are walleye, crappie, northern pike, and smallmouth bass.

Planning your next RV adventure? Take advantage of free fishing days in Ontario! We’ve highlighted just seven of the 250,000 lakes where you might want to go fishing in Ontario. Plus, as an Explorer RV Club member, you can save at select campgrounds. Not a member? Join the club today!

Wherever you decide to go, we hope you have an enjoyable time travelling by RV and spending time with loved ones.

Spread the love and share this post!

Explorer Renew RV Membership for

Please choose one option

Canada Renew Membership Plans

Please choose one membership plan

Canada Membership Plans

Please choose one membership plan

Explorer RV Membership for

Please choose one option