Now that we’re a few months into a new year, the truck sales numbers for 2022 have been released. Among truck builders, Ford tops the list once again. The Ford F-Series surpassed 640,000 trucks in 2022, making it America’s best-selling truck for 46 consecutive years and 51 years in Canada. Most of these sales are for the F-150; however, the Super Duty lineup is also an important part of this truck stable. That’s why Ford showed off its newest 2023 Super Duty at the State Fair of Texas this past September. At that time, there were still many unknown details, including the new towing and weight capacity numbers. Now that we finally have these numbers, we can flesh out all the details for this newest generation of Super Duty.
The big numbers
The all-new 2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty will have the best towing available for every trailer type, including:
- maximum available towing of 40,000 pounds
- the best-in-class maximum available payload of 8,000 pounds and 500 horsepower
- 1,200 pounds per foot of torque from the new high-output 6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel
Of course, in each case, these maximums are for select models. Nevertheless, Ford is swinging for the fences where towing and payload and concerned.
Other upgrades found on the Next-generation 2023 Ford F-Series Super Duty:
- Offered with Pro Power Onboard, it can power a job site or campground. The 2.0 kilowatts of output are accessible inside the truck and cargo box.
- The first pickup in the U.S. with embedded 5G capability, enabling faster mapping, Wi-Fi and Ford Power-Up software updates while driving.
- All-new available Trailer Navigation identifies the best real-time drive route based on trailer size.
“From the F-250 pickup to the F-600 utility truck, Super Duty is the badge America’s hardest-working men and women have come to trust to get the toughest jobs done,” said Jim Farley, Ford president and CEO. “Super Duty customers are builders – the backbone of our communities and economy. We poured every ounce of know-how and ingenuity into developing the truck of their dreams – smarter, more powerful, full of clever features and technology.”
For 2023, Super Duty has expanded its powertrain options. It now offers the broadest range of engines in the HD class:
- The new standard 6.8L V8 gas engine (430 hp and 485 lb-ft of torque) targets more low-end torque, making starting on steep grades easier to merge onto highways.
- 7.3L V8 (430 hp and 485 lb-ft of torque) targets the best gas horsepower and torque in the class thanks to improved air intake and tuning.
- 6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel (475 hp and 1,050 lb-ft of torque) can go longer between oil changes.
- New high-output 6.7L Power Stroke V8 diesel (500 hp and 1,200 lb-ft of torque) with a unique turbo, upgraded exhaust manifolds, and exceptional tuning targets the best horsepower and torque in the class.
- Every Super Duty features a Ford-designed and built 10-speed TorqShift® automatic transmission.
- Four-wheel drive is now standard on XLT models and above.
The rise of more sophisticated electronics has also spawned new available driver-assist technologies designed to simplify the towing experience and build confidence. These include:
- Onboard Scales with Smart Hitch: estimates cargo weight in real-time and guides trailer tongue weight distribution directly on the centre touchscreen or within the taillamps.
- 360-Degree Trailer Camera System: provides a bird’s-eye view of the trailer to make manoeuvring in tight spaces more accessible and with virtually no blind spots.
- Blind Spot Information System for Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck: can be attached to a trailer to help identify when vehicles are next to a trailer and indicate this in the side view mirrors.
- Industry-First Available Tailgate Down Camera and Tailgate Down Reverse Sensing System: a new camera and reverse sensors in the top of the tailgate that provide visual and audible alerts when the tailgate is down to make backing up to a dock or hitching a gooseneck or fifth wheel trailer more accessible than ever before.
- Pro Trailer Hitch Assist: automatically backs the truck up and aligns the conventional hitch ball to the trailer receiver.
- Trailer Navigation: plots routes that can be safely navigated with a given trailer dimensions and weight to avoid potential issues with low bridges and tight turns.
Here are the new max towing numbers for each of the 2023 Super Duty Fords:
- Best maximum available gooseneck towing of 40,000 pounds with F-450 pickup
- Best maximum available gooseneck in F-350 DRW pickup subsegment with 38,000 pounds
- Best maximum available 5th wheel towing of 35,000 pounds with F-450 DRW pickup
- Best maximum available conventional towing in the F350 DRW subsegment of 28,000 pounds
- Best maximum available conventional towing in the F350 SRW subsegment of 25,000 pounds
- Best diesel F-250 pickups subsegment maximum available towing with F-250 offering 23,000 pounds
- Best maximum available 7.3L V8 gas F-350 DRW conventional towing of 22,000 pounds
- F-350 equipped with Tremor Off-Road and Power Stroke high-output diesel is rated at 23,000 pounds towing a gooseneck
- Best maximum towing for an F-350 gas Tremor Off-Road with 21,000 pounds
Trucks are coming into dealerships across the country now. Just a reminder, the above numbers are always listed as the maximum. Depending on how it is built and optioned, each truck will tow less – keep that in mind.
Watch our blog or subscribe to our monthly newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest trucks, RVs and gear!