Craving a quiet day with a gentle start? Want to sleep in? There’s a good reason no one has brunch at seven o’clock in the morning. No need for a muffin tin; this mixed berry skillet muffin is as gentle and luxurious a launch to the day as you can get.
A sizzling skillet of freshly mixed berries from the oven is simple and special. Pop this in the oven or smoker as your crew emerges from a relaxed sleep-in. It’s easy on the baker and a welcome brunch for late sleepers.
This muffin recipe uses corn flour (not cornmeal) and is made the same way I make backyard barbecue cornbread––in a 20 cm (8-inch) Lodge well-seasoned cast-iron skillet, preheated in a 375°F oven or smoker. Remove the preheated skillet from the oven, let the butter sizzle in the pan for a minute before adding the batter and return the batter-filled cast-iron skillet to the oven.
When planning to camp, I pre-measure and mix the dry ingredients storing them in a Zip-loc bag in the trailer’s pantry. When it’s time for brunch, add the wet ingredients, berries, and bake.
When baked and cooled for a few minutes, knock the muffin out on a dinner plate, cut it into triangular slices and let your crew dig in. Serve muffin slices with cold butter, hot coffee, fresh orange juice and slices of smoked Gouda and old cheddar cheese.
What You’ll Need: Tools and Equipment
- Mixing bowl
- Dinner fork
- Gram scale or cup and teaspoon measures
- Wooden spoon
- 20-cm (8-inch) Lodge cast iron skillet (well-seasoned)
- Oven, BBQ or smoker
What You’ll Need: Ingredients
This recipe makes the perfect amount to fill an 8-inch, 20-cm skillet. Serves 4-6 late sleepers.
- 138 grams (1 ¼ cups) of all-purpose flour
- 75 grams (½ cup) of fine corn flour (not cornmeal)
- 50 grams (¼ cup) plus a tablespoon of white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to mix with sugar for topping (optional)
- ¾ teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 60 grams plus 15 grams (4 tablespoons plus 1 tablespoon) of butter
- 190 ml (¾ cup) of buttermilk
- 250 ml (1 cup) of frozen mixed berries
How to Make this Simple Mixed Berry Skillet Muffin
- Preheat oven or smoker to 375F or BBQ to medium-high. You will want to cook this using indirect heat by preheating the BBQ and placing the skillet offset to the flame.
- Lightly oil the skillet and place it in the oven to preheat.
- Measure and mix dry ingredients.
- Beat eggs with a fork.
- Add 60 grams (4 tablespoons) of melted butter and milk to eggs.
- Combine with dry ingredients with a few quick strokes of a wooden spoon. This will be lumpy, and that is just fine.
- Add mixed frozen berries and combine.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, add 15 grams (1 tablespoon) of butter, and let it sizzle, until melted.
- As soon as the butter has melted, tilt the pan, swirl the butter to coat the bottom, and scrape the batter into the skillet.
- Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon and a tablespoon of sugar and sprinkle over the top of the batter, if you like.
- Return to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick poked into the centre comes out clean. Frozen berries will extend the baking time by five minutes or so.
For some reason, this skillet format of baking feels celebratory. Celebrating a new day by sharing brunch with family and friends.